An elementary school will hold a toy gun exchange Saturday, offering students a book and a chance to win a bicycle if they turn in their play weapons.
Strobridge Elementary Principal Charles Hill maintains that children who play with toy guns may not take real guns seriously.
“Playing with toys guns, saying ‘I’m going to shoot you,’ desensitizes them, so as they get older, it’s easier for them to use a real gun,” Hill said.
At Saturday’s event, called Strobridge Elementary Safety Day, a Hayward police officer will demonstrate bicycle and gun safety, and the Alameda County Fire Department is sending a rig and crew to talk about fire safety.
Fingerprinting and photographing of children will be offered, with the information put on CDs for parents to ï»¿use, if needed, in a missing child case. All youngsters attending will be given a ticket to exchange for a book, Hill said.
Every child who brings a toy gun will get a raffle ticket to win one of four bicycles, Hill said.
Hill said he got the idea for the toy gun exchange from a photographer, Horace Gibson, who takes students’ school pictures and who expressed concern about the spate of shootings of young people by police in Oakland.
Hill said police are rightfully fearful of being shot when they encounter so many armed suspects, and there have been cases nationwide where police mistook a toy gun for a real one.
A gun rights advocate questioned the idea that playing with toy guns desensitizes children to real weapons.
“Having a group of children playing cops and robbers or cowboys and Indians is a normal part of growing up,” said Yih-Chau Chang, spokesman for Responsible Citizens of California, a group whose goal is to educate the public about the facts behind gun rights.
Read More: http://www.mercurynews.com/
- Arizona district wants parents to sign a contract dictating gun safety at home (joeforamerica.com)
- Missouri Offers Gun Safety Classes for 1st Graders (janmorganmedia.com)
- The money behind the drive for gun safety (patriotoutdoornews.com)
- One Killed, One Injured In Another Chicago “Gun-Free Zone” (godfatherpolitics.com)
- School Shooting? Check. Exploitative gun control? Check. Rampant crime as a result? Welcome to Stockton (bulletsfirst.net)
- Keeping Kids From Toy Guns: How One Mother Changed Her Mind (theatlantic.com)
- City Ordinance Would Criminalize Displaying Toy Guns in ‘Threatening Manner’ (secretsofthefed.com)
- Baltimore Official seeks to ban toy guns (VIDEO) (guns.com)